Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Good to be home

There's nothing quite like leaving a place to make you appreciate (or hate!) where you are. I actually got that feeling twice this past week--first when I met up with my family in Boston for my brother's graduation (congrats!!), and again when I got back to France, which is feeling more and more like home.

There are definitely things I miss about the States. My family. My Boston terriers. My friends. My car. Starbucks. Bookstores with English books. Newspapers I can read. TV I can watch. Heck, TV period. The U.S. dollar. Stuff for cheap. My phone. Work and a steady paycheck. A comfort zone.

But there are things I missed about France after having left. My husband. Our chihuahua-Jack Russells. Buying meat from the butcher, bread from the breadmaker, etc. Cheap, delicious wine and fresh cheese. Walking places. New friends. Adventure. Speaking a foreign language. Being out of my comfort zone.

There are many more things, clearly, that I miss about both places. Let's consider this a list in progress.

No comments:

Post a Comment